Old 26-04-2004, 08:09 PM
Sacha

Default New house, monster leylandii

Matt Barton26/4/04 12:34

"Sacha" wrote in message
. uk...
Matt Barton26/4/04 10:17

Hello,

Appologies if this is an all too familiar query, but I couldn't find an

for the group...

Here it is:
http://www.nugget.demon.co.uk/MetaFAQ/index.html

Thanks very much.

I moved into a new house just before christmas, and at the bottom of the
garden is a 30ft leylandii. I've no problem with the tree itself (I

quite
like it actually - it's a nice counter-point to a *massive* leylandii

hedge
which shelters my house from a railway line), but it's so big that I'm
worried that if I don't deal with it now, it'll be too big for me to

manage
in 6 - 12 months (and I'd hate to have to pay someone to do it if I can

do
it now myself).

I want to cut it to about half of its current height, and then maintain

it
at that height - my questions a is it likely to survive, is there a
better course of action, is there a particular reason why doing so is a

bad
idea?

Once you cut into old wood on leylandii they don't sprout back and look

very
ragged. We advised a neighbour of ours not to do this, she thought she

knew
better and she's now left with trunks sticking out of the top of lower
growing foliage looking simply awful.

Hmmm, I can imagine that looking unattractive. What would you advise
instead?

Matt

I don't like leylandii under any circumstances (almost) so you don't want to
hear my answer. ;-) BUT in your shoes, I'd cut it down and put something
else in its place that won't mind being cut back or will go to the height
you want and shield your garden.
Eucalyptus are evergreen, graceful and don't mind being trimmed back - or if
you find the right variety - let go to the height you want.
IMO, C. leylandii make great wind breaks but you've just met the worst
problem with them - the ones that have been allowed to grow too big in the
wrong setting. They can go to 100' easily. OTOH, your railways shielding
hedge sounds what you need but keep a firm grip on it!
I think they need loadsaspace and careful control. If those two criteria
are ignored there's potential trouble for present and future owners.
A tree surgeon should be able to fell your tree and log it for you for many
warmer winters to come. ;-)
--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk