Old 26-04-2004, 11:06 PM
Glenna Rose

Default Avocados from seeds? Any tips?

writes:

We got tired of doing the toothpick thing and just started sticking
them into pots with any soil that was handy, point-up, and every
single one grew (sometimes they take a while to sprout). This was much
better than the success rate with the water and toothpick thing.

I always thought the water/toothpick method was not for realistic starting
for a long-term plant but was for children to learn about roots and leaves
and how they grow in relationship to the soil line (water line in the
experiment). Rather like an ant farm, not practical but it's educational
for seeing the process while putting accuracy and actual "implementation"
by Mother Nature aside.

The avocado seed, being a large seed, has all the basic characteristics of
other seeds (roots, leaves, seed splitting, etc.). Unlike a bean seed, it
will do very well in full light for an extended period of time living only
on water (and much easier to keep upright and watered!). By the time the
child is bored of it all, the plant usually hasn't yet given up. Slower
starting than smaller seeds, it's more realistic to compare with the seeds
they start in the soil. If memory serves correctly, when started at the
same time, the avocado will start sprouting about the same time the bean
seeds start poking their heads through the ground.

Glenna