Old 27-04-2004, 12:12 AM
Robert E A Harvey

Default Attracting Wildlife

Jason Scott wrote:
I have just put a water feature in my front garden in a hope to
attract wildlife. Its only small like a half barrel thingamajig with
a pump that circulates the water out of an old water tap/pump handle.

Is there anything I can do to this that will attract wildlife or will
the water just do it for me.

Thanks in advance

The water will do fine for flying things, although you might want to add
some small plants to make it a more complete ecosystem - make sure you pick
things that won't grow too much. You may get some dragon flies and the
like. Frogs and Toads need access: a way in and out of the water inside and
a ramp or pile of things they can climb outside. that might be a bit
unsightly, so I would stick to a couple of oxygenating plants

Fish look nice, but would eat insect lavae, so think about what you'd like.