Old 27-04-2004, 02:04 AM

Default sick koi

having low levels of salt in the pond is the single best thing people can do (after
water changes) to keep their fish healthy. of course, those on coasts must test
their water to determine how much they got in there already cause it could be high
enough that addition of salt is not necessary. Salt, like oxygen and water, can do
great good in small quantities and harm in large quantities.
Actually, salt does not replace clean water. so it cannot be used to "make" fish
healthy altho it is used as treatment at higher concentrations. but at low levels
salt increases the turnover of the slime coat, and that increases the production of
antibodies and anti-microbial proteins secreted with the slime coat. Ingrid

Ugh. This is the perfect post for why I am against salt as a normal every
day additive to the pond. The legend of salt propegates, and people start
adding it to make their fish healthy.
/soap box

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/