Old 27-04-2004, 09:02 AM
martin

Default First cuckoo

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:47:00 -0400, "Scott L Hadley"
wrote:

That would be reason enough (aside from Maine being so disagreeable most
Aprils) to make a visit to the parts of Britain where this sound may be
heard. We can become quite starved for spring sounds at this moment of the
year. Still, with ice now out, we have the loons back on our lakes, and the
"peepers" every evening in the wet areas recently thawed (tree frogs) the
red-wing blackbirds (back by March 26) and some of the boreal warblers are
returned to the spruce forest. I understand the best is yet to come, next
two months, for both Maine and large areas of the UK. Unlike most of the US,
ours is a very delayed spring in this corner, much like adjacent Canada.

My wife saw a stork standing in a field yesterday and the sparrows are
back.