Old 27-04-2004, 12:09 PM
sw

Default compost again

Vicky wrote:

I'm new to this gardening stuff. I started a compost heap last year when
the local council were flogging cheap compost bins. I didn't have much luck
at first. Then I took some hints about the benefits of urine - won't go
into the whys and wherefores collecting it at the mo!

Then someone happened to mention that if there were ants in the heap, it was
too dry so I added a bit of water to it the other day. Opened it this
morning to check on progress and it appears to be steaming nicely with no
sign of the ants and with definite signs of reduction in bulk. I felt quite
smug. I'm giving nettle manure a try next as per the instructions on the
FAQ list!

Of course, it woud be even more exciting if my garden had more stuff to
feed!

Sorry - these little things in life are mildly thrilling to the uninitiated
ignoramus!

It's worse than thrilling, it's addictive. I visit the bin nearest the
house every day just to see how it's doing. If it's not happy, I try to
cheer it up with a handful of garden lime, or some grass clippings, or
some dilute urine. Bit like making good homemade soup...

The Compost Master programme is still running; when leafleting
passers-by at a garden centre about the benefits of composting the other
weekend it seemed that far more than 30% were already doing so. I
suggested we run a Compost Show -- more an excuse for a party than a
true competition, but people could bring in jars of their own best
compost for judging :-)

regards
sarah

ps. Next week is International Compost Week!

--
Think of it as evolution in action.