Old 27-04-2004, 03:06 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default NooB's lament

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message

I could sure use something that eats algae about now.
My pond is staying green so far.

It went from totally opaque to about 8-10 inches visibility and seems
to be holding there for the last couple of weeks.

Done a couple of 25-30% water changes, no help a-tall.

This may even be helping the algae. IMHO, the only solutions to algae are

1) Chemicals. Verbotten in ponds, IMHO.
2) Too many plants. Like there is any such thing.
3) And UV clarifiers for the techno-geek.

I'm hoping the water hyacinth gets busy and helps. The fish appeared
to be eating the roots, so I started feeding them a bit more a couple
of days ago.

Plants will definately help.

Also got some watercress starting to take off in the waterfall, but I
know it won't be a big help. Looks nice though. Softens up the looks
of the rocks.

Oh it will. It will.

Trying to figure out how I could retrofit a veggie filter.

Not difficult. A great excuse for another pond!

Fighting the urge to buy a UV sterilizer.

Fight it, fight it!

On the upside I have a couple of lilies that are close to reaching the
surface, and the fish seem pretty chipper.

With all my web research, reading this group for about 3 years & such,
I still feel like The Compleat NooB. Oy.

Even worse, I'm outta beer. Used the last of it planting the hyacinth.
Wonder if I can use Tequila for planting? Well, OK, actually, a
Margarita was what I had in mind. Maybe I can use some of the salt in
the pond. Maybe lime juice is the magic cure-all for algae. :-)

There is no better cure for algae then beer in hand, patience in the heart.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com