Old 27-04-2004, 04:09 PM
Broadback

Default raised/deep beds

Stephen Howard wrote:
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:09:30 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

Where can I get specifically on raised beds for growing vegetables?
There's a couple of things I can't find details on.

I have been using raised beds for a couple of years now. As regards
potatoes, I just plant them normally and instead of hoe-ing soil over I
cover them with grass clippings off the lawn, works fine for me.

I try to keep the same type of crop ( roots, brassicas etc.) in each bed
and rotate them. However it is not always practical, as you will not
need the same room for each crop type. I have some beds running E/W and
others N/S, both ways work fine for me.

I find it easy to protect them with netting, fleece and polythene for
early crops. I have made hoops U shaped using plastic electric conduit
for the straight arms and joining to together using the blue plastic
water cable, they fit each other a treat! I simply push the hoops into
the beds then throw the protection over securing it with batons fixed to
the sleeper tops.

--
Please only reply to Newsgroup as emails
to this address are deleted on arrival.