Old 27-04-2004, 04:09 PM
D Russell

Default Railway Sleepers

"Simon" wrote in message
Hi
I currently have 10 New Softwood Railway Sleepers that I need to make cuts
in (ie, shorten)

I am not sure on how to do this, every where I read it mentions to use a
Chain saw, I see that I can get one from Argos for about £50 but I am not
sure if these are powerful enough also they look dangerous.

Has anybody any experience of cutting these things with a normal handsaw?

Regards
Simon

Have you thought about trying to hire a circular saw, with a blade wide
enough to do half the sleeper. Should be safer than a chainsaw, needs a bit
more practice to get the two cuts to line up though I'd guess. Maybe you
could do one side with the circular and then hand saw the rest, saves half
the work.
Duncan