Old 27-04-2004, 05:12 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default Asparagus

So here we are almost at the end of April, and my asparagus is still
showing just one weedy shoot. It did this last year, but I assumed that
was because it was the first season, but I was hoping for a bit more of

show this year, and maybe even enough for a modest side-salad.

The ten crowns I planted have a sunny, well-drained bed which has been
mulched with compost and manure. The soil contained a lot of very well
rotted bonfire ash, and produces some fairly mighty weeds, and the

crowns
were planted in trenches 'by the book'.

What more does it need, or am I just being too impatient?

We've got two rows of ten crowns each. The Connovers Collossal have been up
for several weeks and they are exactly as named - collossal (and
succulent!). The Franklim have just started to put in an appearance and
won't be ready for at least another week. So, don't panic - different
varieties come at different times.