Old 27-04-2004, 06:12 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default Diatom Filter or H.O.T. Magnum

"Squid" wrote in message
I was thinking about getting a Diatom Filter and got a little
sidetracked by the H.O.T. Magnum which I guess comes with a Micron
Cartridge that polishes the water. Considering the H.O.T. is priced
rather low I was wondering what you guys thought of that as an
alternative to a Diatom Filter right?

I use the H.O.T. magnum on my planted 55 with the micron cartridge 100% of
the time. It keeps the water crystal clear and provides good circulation. I
have several cartridges which I rotate weekly. Rinse the filter with a
sprayer, soak overnight in oxyclean, rinse and then soak overnight in
bleach, 10:1. Rinse again and then dry. I don't use any chemical
filtration. I also have a 404 with just ceramic tubes and a couple bags of
peat that gets changed every few months if I remember. Since getting this
setup I have not touched my system 1 diatomaceous filter.
Jeff