Old 27-04-2004, 07:05 PM
Rez

Default catapillers munching away in garden

In article , "SugarChile" wrote:
If you feel you need to take it to the next level, please consider using a
Bt formulation instead of Sevin. Bt is a naturally occurring bacteria that
disrupts the digestive system of caterpillars and leads to their death. It
is available in most garden centers and is not expensive. (Mosquito
"dunks", used to kill mosquito larvae, are another form of Bt.) It normally
comes as a powder, which is mixed with water and sprayed on the plants. The
caterpillars stop feeding soon after ingesting it, and die a day or two
later. It has a minimal environmental impact, although you shouldn't spray
it around indiscriminately.

Do you know a brand name offhand? I don't remember seeing any of this
stuff at local garden centers.

I have had good luck against tomato hornworms using soap-based sprays,
with the side effect that the formerly-scruffy tomatoes went berserk
and grew HUGE, and made more tomatoes than we could possibly eat.
(Probably due to potassium salts in the soap)

~REZ~