Old 27-04-2004, 07:10 PM
Kay Easton

Default raised/deep beds

In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Where can I get specifically on raised beds for growing vegetables?
There's a couple of things I can't find details on.

For instance
1. When the sleepers are down and nailed, how full do they have to be
with soil? Up to the top or about three inches down?

No point in doing anything other than filling to the top.

2. Should the beds be west to east or north to South?
3. Can you use the individual beds for crop rotation, i.e. one bed for
legumes, one for root crops etc

Yes

or does there need to be more distance
between?

No

4. Can I grow potatoes in them or do you still grow them on the flat and
is it possible to plant them say 5 inches down and then gradually fill
up the sleeper beds as the potatoes grow, rather as they do with
barrels?

You can lay potatoes on the ground inside the beds and cover them with
compost. I've done that and it worked well.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: