Old 27-04-2004, 08:12 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Using Rain Water in the Garden

"grubber" wrote in message
"Benign Vanilla" wrote in message

My first phase plan is to create a system to water the herb garden, and

then
a second to water the vegetable garden. I have put together a

spreadsheet
calculate potential gathering capability, and can see this being a great
source of water. I've even found some pages for people that use it for

their
house water. I don't want to go that far, but if these numbers are

right,
it'd be a great source of water for the garden and the pond.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com

There's a good bit of rainwater collection in this area (central TX). My
parents had a whole house system put in when they built out in the

country.
Their cistern is 20-30 ft across! In areas with regular rainfall, smaller
cisterns can be used because they are frequently refilled.

Basically, between your gutters and your main tank, you put a T into a

small
tank that fills first. That way, all the dust and bird crap gets washed

off
the roof and ends up in the first tank, then clean water flows to your

main
tank. Drain the small tank after every rain.

I think you are refering to a roof scrubber, as I have read about. As we are
not using this water for drinking water, I don't think it is worth worrying
about. I am also not convinced that it would be necessary for pond water or
garden water.
snip

--
BV.