Old 27-04-2004, 08:14 PM
Sue da Nimm

Default raised/deep beds

"Kay Easton" wrote in message
In article , Janet Tweedy
writes
Where can I get specifically on raised beds for growing vegetables?
There's a couple of things I can't find details on.

For instance
1. When the sleepers are down and nailed, how full do they have to be
with soil? Up to the top or about three inches down?

No point in doing anything other than filling to the top.

Unless....
We leave a 3inch lip. This lip has angled holes drilled in it along both
long sides at 18inch intervals. Into these we force bamboo canes so that
they arch upwards and over. When the canes are fitted we can drape polythene
sheet over them, stapling down round the edges to make a useful cloche.
Later in the season they are useful to support fruit netting to keep away
the birds.