Old 27-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default raised/deep beds

In article , Stephen Howard
writes

The sleepers are really only to prevent the soil from falling out of
the bed - so it follows that any soil raised above the height of the
sleepers may fall out. In practice, such beds are humped - rising
about a foot at the bed's centre from the top of the sleeper.

Actually I have scaffolding planks because they are marginally easier to
carry 200 foot up the garden.

The rotation system is more about the prevention of disease build-up -
and whilst it works in a huge multi-field system, its use is a bit
moot in a veg plot where you'll be throwing soil all over the place as
you walk between the beds.

But you aren't if you have raised beds, are you?
At the moment I have four large 14 x 14 foot squares with a pathway
between, I thought raised beds would organise the plot more.

Another reason for its use is the provision of ideal soil conditions
for specific crops ( i.e. very rich soil for hungry feeders such as
courgettes, and undisturbed soil for cabbages ).

Yes I got that, I'm filling the first beds I make with stuff from the
compost heap.

ne of the plus points of a
deep bed system is a wide variety of crops growing in close
proximity...which can help to confuse pests such as carrot and onion
root fly.

Yes but that's what I mean, how close can I plant?

The big drawback to the soil addition method is that you have to get
the soil from somewhere, and it's works out to be a lot of shoveling!

That's okay, I have a very big 12 x 12 foot old four foot high compost
heap that hasn't been dug for about 6 years.

Well I've looked at loads of book but even the RHS just doesn't give
enough advice about it all.

I don't think it matters much where you look - you'll always find
conflicting information.
I once found an interesting book in my local library that was devoted
solely to crop rotation in deep beds. It was pretty complicated stuff
- and it got even more complicated if you decided that you didn't want
to grow any brassicas in a particular year!
Chuck in the concept of intercropping and the whole thing becomes so
anal you just give up and go to Sainsbury's.

And then I saw a Gardener's World programme which featured Geoff
Hamilton ( mayherestinpeace ) standing alongside a set of deep beds
that were practically bursting with crops. He said it didn't matter -
just bung it in wherever there's a space.

Good old Geoff ! I was hoping that someone like him or Geoffrey Smith
would have written something about them but find that even in my first
bed I'm having to find room for stuff such as rocket, sage , raspberries
and do I really want to move three gooseberry bushes.

The Henry Doubleday people publish a small pamphlet on the subject
that's quite handy.

Got that thanks but thanks you also for the information.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph