Old 27-04-2004, 10:06 PM
Janet Tweedy

Default raised/deep beds

In article , Broadback
writes

I find it easy to protect them with netting, fleece and polythene for
early crops. I have made hoops U shaped using plastic electric conduit
for the straight arms and joining to together using the blue plastic
water cable, they fit each other a treat! I simply push the hoops into
the beds then throw the protection over securing it with batons fixed
to the sleeper tops.

Oh great idea! I put fleece over the carrots and also the lettuce so
that pigeons wouldn't eat the latter but the dogs took one look at these
raised platforms in the sun, 14 foot long and wide enough to lay on with
fleece kindly provided and I found them both sunbathing up there
oblivious to my crops

The only thing I worry about is that in raising the beds I'll make them
dryer, but it is so nice to be able to put a spade or trowel in the
ground without hitting enough flints to front Buckingham palace
janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph