Old 27-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Pond Newbie

Default Toads

We have Houston toads (an endangered species) so we couldn't do any 'control' even if we
wanted to, without knowing for 100% sure the eggs were something other than Houston toads
(I am pretty sure since they were laid the night before last they ARE because they were
calling really loud all night).

We had eggs last year, though LOTS more than this, and only had a few reach adulthood. I
don't know what gets them, but I think the 'infant mortality' must be rather high, because
I didn't have one tenth the amount of baby toads as I did of toadpoles. Hoping for a
better success rate this year.....

DeAnna
--
http://lamb.iswiz.com/pond.php
If you remember that I prefer my spam without cheese-

"John A. Kostelac" wrote in message
The last few nights have seen an increase in vocal activity around our pond.
Last night, it started to lose its beauty about 3 AM. I went out and in a
matter of 2 minutes counted a dozen and a half gulf coast toads (Houston,
TX). This morning the hornwort is covered with strings of eggs. On the one
hand this would indicate a healthy environment. On the other it likely
indicates that we will be inundated with toads. Any natural suggestions for
toad and tadpole control?

Thanks, John