Old 27-04-2004, 11:13 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default Delurk with chocolates and a question

The message
from Kay Easton contains these words:

In article , Gwenhyffar
Milgi writes

Well, no. It was about 4 cm's long, glittery grey/silver in colour,
and it was definitely an amphibian. It had no legs.

But we don't have any british legless amphibians!

It sounds very like an elver (young eel). Eels normally live in water
but they are quite capable of coming ashore and travelling cross
country, to domestic ponds. Adult ones are much much bigger. My granny
was forever feeding us eels..free food and very nutritious. We loved the
taste but hated seeing them live in the kitchen sink, or wriggling in
the pan.

In spring there are great swarms of elvers in some rivers (like the Wye
and Severn), there's a name for it which I've forgotten. People catch
them and flash-fry them..a bit like fishy spaghetti :-)

Janet.