Old 28-04-2004, 12:05 AM
Phil Williamson

Default Indoor herb garden

Not an option since I had sliding patio doors and a single window in the
bedroom with a tv in front of it..

"Tumbleweed" wrote in message
.. .
Window box.

--
Tumbleweed

Remove my socks for email address
"Phil Williamson" wrote in message
It's not practical to grow them outside since I live in a flat and I

have
very little window space. I figure a few fluoro tubes and 14 hours a

day
light will be more than needed to keep these little guys happy.

"Rodger Whitlock" wrote in message
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 12:24:16 -0400, Phil Williamson wrote:

I'm planning on taking a shelf from my bookshelf and installing some

floros
on the underside of the shelf and starting a little herb garden in

the
kitchen. Has anyone done anything similar, I'd like some pointers

if
anyone
has.

I plan on growing basil, chives, parsley, lavendar, and thyme.

How many hours per day should I leave the lights on?

Would it be easier to install the light to the shelf and move the

plants
the light or the other way around?

[and more]

I am also planning on using some fairly small clay pots for the

herbs.
I'm
going to germinate my seeds in peat pellets so, how many seeds per

peat
pellet or per pot should I use? I'd like to get them started..

If you can possibly grow your herbs out of doors, do so. They
will be *much* happier. Unlike African violets (Saintpaulia)
which are native to the jungles of the Congo, herbs come from
climates with lots of sun, air movment, and, yes, low
temperatures. They detest the still, dry steady warmth of
indoors.

Also, the idea of dear little wee herb plants in eensy-weensy
dear wee little pots ignores the reality: many herbs are fairly
lusty and need plenty of lebensraum.

It's not to say that herbs can't be grown in pots under
artificial light, but it's not as easy and satisfactory as
growing them outside.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada