Old 28-04-2004, 01:03 AM
Glenna Rose

Default Use grass clipping as mulch to keep weeds from growing?

writes:
I like the idea of using grass clippings as mulch around my tomatoes,
black
berries, grapes, and fruit trees. I am just not sure if that is
recommended or a good idea? I want to find a cheap way to prevent weeds
from growing and keep the ground moist.
I heard that the grass clippings can spread disease to the vegetables.
My dad found the clipping breeding some kind long centipede insect in the
grass.

Under no circumstances use grass from any area that has been treated.

I can only speak to what works for me. I put literally all my grass
clippings (throughout the growing season) around my tomato plants and
other veggies as I have enough clippings. Leaving about an inch around
the stem (to discourage mildew, etc.), I place it at least 6-8 inches out
and a couple of inches high. It serves the purposes of keeping the ground
warm as it decomposes, discouraging weeds and retaining moisture. Many
people have told me that I shouldn't do it because of nitrogen issues;
however, those *same* people marvel at how well my plants grow and produce.

I cannot imagine not mulching with grass; I mow to mulch. I use grass for
mulch around trees, rhodies, etc., after my garden is advanced enough to
make it inconvenient to place it around veggies.

There has not been any disease in my garden nor have has there been in
insect problem. Surely the bird feeder and, especially, the bird bath
have helped with the insects. Each spring I purchase ladybugs for release
so even an aphid is truly rare (not so in front where there is no bird
feeder). I also purchase nemotodes for the garden to distribute before
serious planting.

All this, with on-ground watering, has produced excellent results for me
who says my garden grows in spite of me, not because of me. Perhaps it
works because of my ignorance of what I should be doing. However, I can
tell you for sure, I really don't care how ignorant others might think I
am when I'm eating those delicious tomatoes and all the other veggies . .
.. those plants seem to be as ignorant as their planter is. :-)

Regardless of what you do, I wish you a healthy and productive garden.

Glenna