Old 28-04-2004, 06:09 AM
Steve

Default Use grass clipping as mulch to keep weeds from growing?

Glenna Rose wrote:
.................................................. ...
I cannot imagine not mulching with grass; I mow to mulch. I use grass for
mulch around trees, rhodies, etc., after my garden is advanced enough to
make it inconvenient to place it around veggies.

There has not been any disease in my garden nor have has there been in
insect problem........................................... ....
Glenna

Glenna, that could have been written by me. I feel the same.

I collect all the grass clipping I can get from my own yard. I use
it right out of the mower bag to mulch around my fruit trees (not
touching the trunk) and any bare ground in the garden and even the
flower beds. It works very well between my rows of corn and extra
nitrogen is certainly never a problem with corn! Actually, I find no
reason to worry about extra nitrogen anywhere else, really. I put it
on about 4 inches thick. Mostly it just gets dry and not enough
decomposes into the soil at any one time to boost the nitrogen very
much.

Steve