Old 28-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Andrew Puddifer

Default Apple tree problems

Thanks for that information John. I am not too concerned about
treating the borers at the moment, as I know the tree is not going to
survive(it is hollow). I know where the borers are at the moment, so
when the time comes, I can find them. There are a few other tasty trees
nearby I am sure they would love to move in on, so I don't want to
disturb them till I get another tree going.
However, if you know a really good way to treat them, let me know!

Regards, Andrew.

John Savage wrote:

I'm surprised that you didn't ask how to go about treating the borers?
Anyway, it could be that the borers have moved in because the tree is on
the way out for other reasons, rather than them being the actual cause of
its destruction.

Well, grafting is going to get you fruit a lot sooner than growing from
seed! But why not try it anyway, rather than have all your eggs in one
basket. There is also another method, it involves scratching or scoring a
suitable branch and encasing the wound in a bundle of sphagnum moss wrapped
up in plastic. The site of the wound develops roots, and after a year or so
you can cut that branch off the tree and plant it as a new specimen. That's
all I know, and I don't know what the likely success is with apple trees,
but it will give you a start for a web search.

There is also "layering" which IIRC could be carried out by raising a tub
of good potting mix on a secure stand tall enough so you can bend a supple
branch/twig down and securely bury its central length in the soil. After a
year or so the buried part develops roots. You wouldn't want to let the mix
dry out, I'd say, so not as "set and forget" as the above.

To other readers: please add any personal experiences of either of these
methods of tree propagation, as I'm also keen to learn more.