Old 28-04-2004, 10:16 AM
Stephen Howard

Default raised/deep beds

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 21:45:47 +0100, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Sue da Nimm
writes

Unless....
We leave a 3inch lip. This lip has angled holes drilled in it along both
long sides at 18inch intervals. Into these we force bamboo canes so that
they arch upwards and over. When the canes are fitted we can drape polythene
sheet over them, stapling down round the edges to make a useful cloche.
Later in the season they are useful to support fruit netting to keep away
the birds.

How inventive! Sounds like a great idea as well.

Another method that works very well on non-lined beds is to use
lengths of plastic water pipe. Just push each end into the ground
either side of the bed and the pipe forms a natural arch over the bed.

Works with hazel sticks too!

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk