Old 28-04-2004, 02:11 PM
redclay

Default Coriander

Emery Davis wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:59:39 +0100, Jack Ouzzi

said:

] On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:43:39 +0100, Jonny
] wrote:
]
] I have lots of coriander grown in the greenhouse. It is now approx 5"
] tall. Something in the back of my mind tells me that if left in direct
] sunlight it will shoot. Am I right? If so, what should I do? I have
] []
] I posted a similar question a few seasons back, and yes direct
] sunlight does seem to effect this yummy herb. Also using the Cilantro
] variety (for leaf instead of seed growth) tends to stop bolting
] ................. so pot it and put the pots outside in a shady place
][]
I thought Cilantro was just another name for Coriander? In the US the
words are used interchangeably, I believe.
No advice from me on how to stop it from bolting. We use a lot in salads,
and so do several plantings. I've still got about a kg of seed frozen

from
last year, in spite of using it at nearly every opportunity...

Coriander, cilantro or Chinese parsley are one in the same and it bolts
during warm temperatures coupled with longer days. Pinching the beginning
seed heads helps little; new seed head shoots appear over night. Just enjoy
it fresh and try some in pots with morning sun only; it might work for you.
I never was successful but living in the South, summer morning sun is hot.