Old 28-04-2004, 05:09 PM
Jeff Lowe

Default Diatom Filter or H.O.T. Magnum

"Rick" wrote in message

"RedForeman ©®" wrote in message
"Squid" wrote in message
I was thinking about getting a Diatom Filter and got a little
sidetracked by the H.O.T. Magnum which I guess comes with a Micron
Cartridge that polishes the water. Considering the H.O.T. is priced
rather low I was wondering what you guys thought of that as an
alternative to a Diatom Filter right?

I use the H.O.T. magnum on my planted 55 with the micron cartridge
100% of the time. It keeps the water crystal clear and provides good
circulation. I have several cartridges which I rotate weekly. Rinse
the filter with a sprayer, soak overnight in oxyclean, rinse and then
soak overnight in bleach, 10:1. Rinse again and then dry. I don't
use any chemical filtration. I also have a 404 with just ceramic
tubes and a couple bags of peat that gets changed every few months if
I remember. Since getting this setup I have not touched my system 1
diatomaceous filter.
Jeff

Isn't that a bit overboard? Not to be a cynic, but I don't even worry

about
using tap water and flopping it right back in, no sense in using

bleach...
but oxyclean?? That's just creating more work for a hobby that is

supposed to reduce stress, not create MORE because OF the hobby...

Then again, that's just my opinion, and I'm sure it won't work for
everyone... just as yours wouldn't work for me....

i wouldn't bother with the oxyclean but I do bleach my micro filter.

I was in a hurry one day and did not want to wait for the chlorine to clear
so I tried oxy instead. It is amazing the tarry brown goo that bubbles off
the filter. Probably don't need to do it, but as far as work goes, it's just
a couple of buckets out in the laundry room. Fill them with either bleach or
oxy, takes at most two minutes, then walk away.
Jeff