Old 28-04-2004, 06:04 PM
Mike Lyle

Default How do garden sheds fail?

"shazzbat" wrote in message ...
"Steve Harris" wrote in message
I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-) And what they'd look for in a
replacement?

You just reminded me of a shed on the allotment of one of my friends uncles
when I was a kid in the fifties. He had been to a demolition site, there
were plenty around then, and bought a whole cartload of doors. He then built
the shed entirely of doors. Sides, roof the lot, everything was doors. They
were all different colours and styles, it was bizarre.

I lost the corrugated iron and translucent plastic roof off a big
home-made shed in the hurricane of '89: this was because I hadn't made
sure the wind couldn't get in under the edges. The same happened to
the farmer next door, so I only felt 90% stupid. The next one had a
roof covered with aluminium sheet off a dismantled caravan, and I made
_quite_ sure the edges were firmly folded and nailed, even over the
projecting joists at the lower end.

Other requirements, IMO, a it should look nice, in a sheddy sort of
way; it should be bigger than you think necessary; admit lots of light
-- through the roof is most efficient; have a wide doorway; be
reasonably frost-proof; have electric light and a double 13A socket
(wiring for these can be powered from a plug in a spare socket in the
house, but a proper job is better; and the light-switch should be a
waterproof one or a bathroom-type cord one).

A short ramp to the door is better than a step. If there are children
about, it's often possible to add a small lean-to extension on the
sunny side for them to hide in and climb on; and I'd have a lockable
cupboard in the shed for any nasty products -- we once had a
terrifying false alarm.

For my money a blackish sump-oil or tar varnish finish looks better
than the green or orangey style they sell you.

Mike.