Old 28-04-2004, 07:07 PM
zxcvbob

Default germinating orange seeds

Laser6328 wrote:

I wouldn't bother with growing citrus trees from seed. The tree will take
YEARS to reach producing size. More importantly, citrus trees are usually
grafted onto "Sour Orange" rootstock. Sour Orange is not suseptable to
nematodes and makes for a better and healtier fruit tree.

I would recomend that you seek out a professional nursery and obtain a variety
that you will enjoy. Sometimes you can find "multigrafts" that have more than
one variety of citrus on a single stock.

Good luck!

They don't take very many years. I'm growing some key lime seedlings.
They are attractive little plants about a foot tall, and from what I've
read they bloom in 2 or 3 years from seeds.

There is a satisfaction in growing a tree from a seed that you don't get
with buying a full-grown tree from a nursery. And citrus gives you a
much better chance of rasing a worthwhile fruit tree than, say, apples.

Regards,
Bob