Old 28-04-2004, 09:03 PM
royroy

Default What the holy mother of hell is this?

On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 19:35:22 -0400, Darren Garrison
wrote:
I posted your message to a professor friend, Here is his reply:

Good to hear from you. I hope you didn't touch this thing. If you
did, you better check your crotch in the next few days. You may have
something growing there! NO--- I'm just joking. The organism in the
photograph is the cedar-apple rust. It's a fungal parasite of both
apple trees and cedar trees. It is a very exotic looking beast when
it grows on the cedar tree.

Here are a couple websites that show similar photos with an
explanation of the life cycle.

http://botit.botany.wisc.edu/toms_fungi/may99.html
http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/path-ext/factSheets/Apple/
Cedar%20Apple%20Rust.asp
http://plantclinic.cornell.edu/FactS...plerust/cedar-
applerust.htm

You may have to cut and paste to get the entire address into your
browser. And I hope this helps, because I'm only serving as the
middle man. I have no personal knowledge of this thing
Update-- here's a newer pic:
http://webpages.charter.net/garrison6328/wthmohit4.jpg

Found it growing on a cedar tree. Is it some sort of insect egg case? Or a parasitic plant? Or an
advance scout for an alien invasion force?