Old 28-04-2004, 11:16 PM
Janet Baraclough..

Default How do garden sheds fail?

The message
from (Steve Harris) contains these words:

I'm planning to buy a shed and I'm interested in hearing urglers stories
of their first "row" with their shed :-)

Never had a cross word with any of ours. We use solid bases a little
higher than ground level, to prevent rot at the base; bolt the sheds
down to it so they stay square and true, and use only top quality wood
preservative (I like micro-pore). Even if the timber comes
ready-treated, I gave new sheds a coat of preservative, including the
inside of the door and double coats around door and window frames and
sills. Sheds and preservative are cheaper and stronger ime, bought
direct from a local manufacturer.While I was at the dentist last week, I
noticed that a nearby shed which we put up in 1977 had just had the roof
refelted, and looked as good as new.

If you favour home made; a shed John made in 1984 out of floorboards
from a skip, is still in good nick, and so is its lean-to extension
built in 1985 out of pallet wood. They both stand on bases made of old
insulated roof sheets, and have corrugated iron roofs, also from skips,
and a recycled window. The only cost was the nails, hinges and
preservative.

Janet.