Old 29-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Brian

Default Anyone come across this before?

Propagation for sale is sometimes illegal. Those who produce new plants can
register them as a form of copyright. They can then sanction propagation for
a commission fee. Since this measure was introduced very many more new
varieties have been produced as there is now some financial incentive.
Previously one could have spent years working to improve a species and
then having sold just one, others could propagate it, and make their own
fortunes.
A similarity to writing a book etc.
Best Wishes.

"Lyn" wrote in message
While wandering round a local garden centre today I stopped to admire a
clematis, and on reading the label was surprised to see in bold letters
"propogation of this plant is illegal". Now since a lot of the pleasure I
get from gardening is from growing my own stock from one plant (and being
broke it is often the only way I can increase my plants), this warning
stopped me from buying, but I'm moved to ask if this is a rare happening

or
a new trend?

TIA

Lyn