Old 29-04-2004, 01:07 AM
Becca

Default Councils and allotments

"shazzbat" wrote in message ...
"Frogleg" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:04:50 +0100, Jan
wrote:

Barnet council (cons), whom I deplore for many reasons, have just
announced an unbelievable increase in rent for all our allotments with
double rent for non-residents.

snip

You should post this in uk.rec.gardening. USAsians don't have
allotments, more's the pity.

You have "community gardens" though, don't you? so educate me if you will,
how are they organised, who owns/allocates them? are they a municipal
function or a private matter?

Steve

Steve - community gardens (cg) in America are very diverse...

They may be supported by University Agricultural extensions.

Here is a list from the American CG Assoc. -
http://www.communitygarden.org/links/index.html#Gardens

In Fortuna, CA folks pay $20/year to rent a space in the plot. The
garden is run by a consortium of the City of Fortuna, AmeriCorps
volunteers, the Ag extension and a local church.

In Minneapolis, MN - many gardens are run by in conjunction with the
school system. At Farm in The City - 6' x 20' plots are $10/season.
Check out their very cool site: http://www.farminthecity.org/.

Here in Denver, CO the Denver Urban Gardens are funded by federal
grants plus a bunch of contributors - http://dug.org/funders.html.
The cost for a plot varies by location.

In Boulder, CO where land is at a premium - it is $65 for 400 sf, $41
for 200 sf & $29 for 130 sf.

Many of the smaller ones are run in conjunction with schools. That is
how the one near my college was set-up.

Hope this helps...
~b