Old 29-04-2004, 01:08 AM
joe

Default Red eared slider in a Koi pond

Claude,

I've had a RES in my pond for two years now and he is great. They are
supposed to be more carnivorous when young and become more vegetarian as
they age. I don't know how old mine is, but I've never seen him even open
his mouth near a fish. In fact, they often swim right up to him and steal
his pellets. He is also no problem with the vegetation. The only mildly
annoying thing he does is he likes to dig in the lily pots after I fertilize
them. Must think the tablets are candy. Some gravel halted that issue.

Mine swims up to me to get his pellets and is a fascinating creature to have
in the pond.

They do, every once in a while, like to take a walk. If your yard is fenced,
he'll eventually just head back to the pond, if not you might want to think
about how to handle that. Also some dogs think turtles are balls, so be
careful if you have dogs. My dogs just bark at him.

Just shout if you want to know more.

Joe

On 4/28/04 2:36 PM, "Claude Rogers" wrote:

Hi guys, my friend has a red earred slider he wants to relocate. I have
goldfish and koi about 7 inches long and lots of plants in my pond. Will
the turtle destroy everthing and kill my fish or is it going to fit in.....I
know I will need some sort of island for it.....just really don't want
everything tore up.....and don't want to be mean to the turtle either...does
anyone mix turtles and fish and plants in the same pond.....Thanks in
advance Claude