Old 29-04-2004, 02:02 AM
righter

Default Are Antivirus software companies like the Mafia?

"The Magnificent *******" wrote in message
On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:15:51 -0700, in alt.tv.sopranos, Trafton rubs the
lotion on it's skin or else it gets the hose again. It does this
whenever it's told -

Virus writing is not an OS-dependent thing. Most types of viruses could

be
written for another OS. There are fewer of them primarily because they

are
less successful. There have been MacOS mass-mailing worms (i.e.
MacOS/Simpsons) and file infectors (too many examples to name, but I'll

give
one randomly: MacOS/Sevendust). Mac worms have even been found in the

wild,
case in point MacOS/AutoStart. The same goes for Linux worms.

Mass-mailers
of today have less to do with Windows than Outlook Express.

99%+ of all viruses affect computers that run Windows.

True or false?

Additionally, the JFK argument is flawed: whoever shot JFK did not have
thousands and thousands of employees.

Unless the government had JFK killed. The govt. employees many
thousands of people. But, since we don't know who shot JFK, we really
don't know how many people they employed.

For all we know, gremlins occupy the center of the Earth. Just because
something is a remote paranoid possibility does not mean it is worth

being
concerned over. There are so many things more imminent than that, such

as
actually protecting one's computer.

Actually, we do know that gremlins do NOT occupy the center of the
Earth.

That's a reckless, unfounded statement and I demand a retraction.

Sincerely,
Benjamin "Trafton" Johnstone-Anderson
Microsoft MVP - Windows Security
Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply!
Security Manifest: www.msmvps.com/trafton/

What other OS, besides Windows, is affected to any large extent by a
virus?

--
Magnificent ******* Productions 2004 ©

http://www.magnificent*******productions.com