Old 29-04-2004, 04:07 AM
tennis maynard

Default Storing Water

Matthew Donadio wrote:
Hi all,

I just got a 10 gallon water cooler to store water in. The cooler is
totally opaque (it's one of the yellow Igloo pigs), but I'm thinking that I
should add something to prevent Icky Stuff from growing in it. I have
Physan, but that's a bit expensive to be constantly using. Is household
bleach OK? How much per gallon?

Thanks.

--Matt

I have been using and storing rainwater (0ne 250-gal, one 150-gal, and
two 50-gal containers. I have never had any problems with anything
growing in the water in the opaque containers, and indeed, only a very
small growth of algae on the sides of the translucent one in six years.
Don't put anything in the water; just make sure the container is clean
when you start and you should be ok.