Old 29-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Heather

Default Hyacinth Experiment

You are so right!

There was algae on the roots. I did not sheild the light there.

I did not give fertilizer.

The mites were all over the plants in the floating tub but missed the plant
in the other end of the house in the quart jar.

Maybe I will try again. After all there is a challenge there.....

Cheers,
Heather

"~ Windsong ~" wrote in message
news

"Heather" wrote in message
After reading many ways to try and keep Water Hyacinth over winter I

tried
the following:
Result. - They all died.

==============================
They're hard to keep over the winter but I have been successful. The best
way I found :

They need a very sunny window and algae kept off their roots by using
something the sun doesn't shine through. I wrapped aluminum foil around a
wide mouth old gallon pickle jar. This also keeps the water from getting
too warm. They need FERTILIZER all winter, but only enough to keep a
healthy green color. They need to be DEBUGGED constantly as they're mite
magnets. The mites suck the life out of them.

In my opinion... they're not worth the bother.
--
Carol....
"A closed mouth gathers no feet."