Old 29-04-2004, 06:03 AM
BenignVanilla

Default Help - New Large Koi Pond

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
We have a large spring fed pond on our property - 45x55, that we are
trying to make into a koi pond. It has a couple of trees around it but
mostly sunny area. We are getting conflicting advise, from the need
for filters, liners, caves, ledges, plants vs no plants, etc to being
told just circulate the water and throw in the fish. Where can we get
good advise - most of the books seem to be for much smaller ponds. We
are in Upper Makefield PA, 35 mi north of Philly Thanks

If the pond is currently fish-less, it will change once you add fish.
Especially little piggies like Koi. The amount of filtration is directly
related to the number of fish divided by the hypotenuse of the size of the
pond or something like that. Basic rule of thumb for keeping koi in an
environment that would suffer sharp swings in water quality is 1000 gallons
for the first, and 100 gallons for each there after.

When you say spring fed, do you imply the water is constantly being changed?
If so, filtration may be moot.

BV.