Old 29-04-2004, 09:02 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Anyone come across this before?

In article ,
"Sue da Nimm" . writes:
| "Stephen Howard" wrote in message
| On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:14:47 +0100, "Lyn" wrote:
|
| While wandering round a local garden centre today I stopped to admire a
| clematis, and on reading the label was surprised to see in bold letters
| "propogation of this plant is illegal". Now since a lot of the pleasure
| get from gardening is from growing my own stock from one plant (and being
| broke it is often the only way I can increase my plants), this warning
| stopped me from buying, but I'm moved to ask if this is a rare happening
| or
| a new trend?
|
| All the labels at our local centres say "Propagation illegal without a
| licence"

There is, in general, no law against false advertising in the UK,
let alone false claims of illegality. It may be a new trend with
plants, but is not in the software business.

You may ignore all such crap, until and unless the monopolists
get the IP laws extended to covering such things. At MOST, you are
forbidden to propagate plants FOR SALE, and that applies only to
plants with Plant Breeder's Rights. And while we maintain our
independence - and I mean from the USA, not the EU.

I assume that the label is applied to all plants, with and without
such rights.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.