Old 29-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Mike Lyle

Default Indoor herb garden

"Phil Williamson" wrote in message ...
[...]
My options are to grow these herbs under artifitial
light or to not grow them at all.

[...]
Sounds really interesting: even in the temperate British Isles there
are plenty of people with no outdoor space, and who might like to grow
something more useful than the usual houseplants.

Somebody mentioned that the ordinary culinary herbs are used to cold
winters giving a check to their growth. If your plants don't get that,
they may put on lusher growth and lose some of their scent and
flavour: but let's find out!

Your idea of treating them like African violets, 40W fluoro tube a bit
over a foot over their heads for 14 hours a day, sounds like a good
place to start. I wouldn't give them the moisture African violets
want, though.

Please tell us how it works out: I think you'll be breaking new ground
(and what gardener can resist doing that?)

Mike.