Old 29-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Franz Heymann

Default Anyone come across this before?

"Lyn" wrote in message
news:y1Wjc.654$7S2.422@newsfe1-win...
While wandering round a local garden centre today I stopped to

admire a
clematis, and on reading the label was surprised to see in bold

letters
"propogation of this plant is illegal". Now since a lot of the

pleasure I
get from gardening is from growing my own stock from one plant (and

being
broke it is often the only way I can increase my plants), this

warning
stopped me from buying, but I'm moved to ask if this is a rare

happening or
a new trend?

If I were you,I would pay no attention to that notice. It is
intended for the consumption of commercial propagators. Half the
pleasure of gardening is in trying ones hand at propagating plants. I
can understand why a newly developed plant should be protected from
commercial exploitation, but there is no harm in propagating ones own
specimen of such a plant for ones own pleasure. I have frequently
taken cuttings of roses, for my own use, which I am sure were still
under copyright (or whatever) protection, and I have no qualms about
it.

Franz