Old 29-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Bob

Default Do we have oak wilt?

Thanks to all for the good advice

"Babberney" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:31:34 GMT, "Bob"
wrote:

Pretty much widespread throughout Georgetown, Live Oak trees appear to be
browning - first one limb and then others until the whole tree looks to

be
dead. I have never seen anything like this before.

Is this problem a result of all the worms we had this spring, and will it
kill the trees or will they coe back?

Bob

As someone said, you really haven't given much to go on. It is
entirely possible that the browning you see is the catkins (flowers)
that are finishing their cycle and falling off the trees. When live
oaks are in this period of dropping/adding leaves and also flowering
at the same time, they sometimes look dead when they aren't. Add the
leaf-rollers, which are quite heavy this year, and it may seem you
have no live leaves when if fact they are just being eaten as fast as
they come out.

try this link to get up to speed on the disease:
http://plantpathology.tamu.edu/Texlab/oakwilt.html

A somewhat conclusive test is possible that would help to diagnose for
wilt, but it is not 100% reliable. In live oaks, the disease is not
as quick to kill a tree and you may do well to wait a couple of more
weeks to see if new leaves are growing and if they are symptomatic.
If these are particularly nice trees, you may consider time is of the
essence, and an immediate consultaion from a consulting arborist could
assuage your fears. As my sig suggests, I am a professional arborist,
but if you want an impartial consultation I suggest you call Don
Gardner (263-2586), who will give you good info and advice but will
not try to sell you the work he recommends.

Of course, I am happy to offer a consultation and to help you if your
trees have a problem. Feel free to cal or email.

Sincerely,
Keith Babberney
ISA Certified Arborist #TX-0236
512-924-1245
arborworks at austintx dot com
For more info about the International Society of Arboriculture, please

visit http://www.isa-arbor.com/home.asp.
For consumer info about tree care, visit http://www.treesaregood.com/