Old 29-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Nick Maclaren

Default Anyone come across this before?

In article ,
Sacha writes:
| Nick Maclaren29/4/04 8:39
| |
| You may ignore all such crap, until and unless the monopolists
| get the IP laws extended to covering such things. At MOST, you are
| forbidden to propagate plants FOR SALE, and that applies only to
| plants with Plant Breeder's Rights. And while we maintain our
| independence - and I mean from the USA, not the EU.
|
| I'm not sure if I'm following you correctly, Nick. But if you're saying
| that PBR doesn't apply to plants bred in UK and then licensed for
| propagation and retailing in e.g. USA, that would be wrong. One of Ray's
| plants has PBR in USA, Canada, Japan and all of Europe. Its biggest market
| has proved to be USA with Canada and Japan close behind.

No, that's not what I am saying.

I am referring to the disgraceful way in which USA pigopolists
have been permitted to patent naturally occurring organisms,
organisms and technologies developed by the third world, and so
on. I am also referring to the way that the traditional IP rights
have been extended to allow extortion.

So far, almost all that is void is most of the rest of the world,
but the failure of the countries with some remaining independence
to stand up to the USA is eroding that. Most people I know of in
the USA would dearly love the UK (and Europe, generally) to develop
some spine.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.