Old 29-04-2004, 04:36 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Help - New Large Koi Pond

"Jeff" wrote in message
om...
The water is running pretty constantly now but I assume it will dry up
pretty much in the summer. My current plan is to circulate the water
with a pump, probably to a little stream or waterfall for asthetics.
There is no liner, actually nothing at the bottom. Is this good
enough?
I calculate about 50,000 gal. if 3 ft deep, which would be 500 fish
by your formula. We obviously don't plan on keeping that many fish. Do
we need/want plants? Getting conflicting advise. Thanks

The easist way to filter your pond, IMHO, would be plants. Now I must warn
you that filtration is a religious topic, insert tongue in cheekand like
all other Porgs, I am right those that disagree with my are wrong./insert
tongue in cheek I think for you to filter a large body of water plants
would be your best bet. Plants help clean the water, add aesthetic value,
and provide places for fish to spawn, stuff for fish to eat, etc.

The idea of circulating the water is a very good one. Aeration is very
important. Check out,
http://www.iheartmypond.com/General/...s/default.asp,
for some info on Wildlife Ponds. Sam's pond (and by pond, I mean the Sam's
ocean) is particularly impressive.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com