Old 29-04-2004, 04:37 PM
gerry

Default Hyacinth Experiment

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:47:36 -0400, "Heather"
wrote:

After reading many ways to try and keep Water Hyacinth over winter I tried
the following:

1. Placed a plant in a quart jar in a sunny window. Kept water topped up.

2. Placed a plant in a floating tub under grow lights from 7am to 11pm.

3. Placed a plant in a net bag and sunk to the bottom of the pond. 4 feet.

Result. - They all died.

Too bad.

After 3 years, I wintered them just fine! (MA Zone 5).

I put them under metal halide lights, lost all the first year

Last year only two sickly ones survived - took off fine.

This year I have dozens looking pretty good, if a tad small.

Secret was not temperature indoors, it was mo algae on the roots, cleaning
dead debris, aeration and a major dose of fertilizer in February.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com