Old 29-04-2004, 04:40 PM
Victoria Clare

Default Anyone come across this before?

Sacha wrote in news:BCB6C1E8.1A522%
:

Would you allow someone else use of them or your expertise and training
without payment?

Actually, yes, I do, often. Not to the point of destitution, but to the
point of helping someone out. So do you, I've noticed ;-).

I don't think the racehorse argument stacks up: you can't copy a racehorse,
you can only charge stud fees (I think that's more like selling seed).

I didn't mean to say that Hill House should not register its plants, and
certainly not to imply that running a nursery was free or even cheap!

I said that patenting a living thing is a different matter to patenting a
gadget.

I still think that.

As cloning becomes more widespread and more and more information of every
type moves into the private domain, I think we are going to see this sort
of debate more often!

Victoria

--
gardening on a north-facing hill