Old 29-04-2004, 05:11 PM
Benign Vanilla

Default Snails -- good or bad in a koi pond?

wrote in message
detrimental to the koi. they are the definitive intermediate host for

lots of
diseases. 2 years ago the Pond Lady began complaining of severe itching

of arms and
legs after being out in her propagation ponds. it was "swimmers itch"

caused by
schistosomiasis ... carried by snails. She nuked the snails, no more

swimmers itch.
not to mention her plants werent being chewed up.
not to mention a single big dead snail cant foul the water and create

such a stink
it is unbelievable.

snip

From my personal experience...I dug out two golfball sized snails from my
pond mulm this year. No stink, nothing. Just empty shells that I had wrestle
from the dogs. I also have numerous other snails, (I have not checked the
variety) in the pond without problems. No itching, no plant destruction, no
harm to the fish.

It is also only fair for me to mention that my intention is a very natural
pond. I embrace my algae, I smack my boys upside the head when the clean the
green sweater goo from the liner, and I am happy with my first seasonal
algae bloom. When a 2 foot snake gobbled a frog last week, I grabbed my
camera not my shotgun.

--
BV.
www.iheartmypond.com