Old 29-04-2004, 06:03 PM
paghat

Default Plant thief!

In article , Grandpa
jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote:

One of our local TV stations just did a piece on thieves harvesting new
trees & shrubs planted at vatrious parks and intersections. They
snagged a couple of people who jumped out of trucks, yanked the plants
out, tossed them in the bed then sped off. Caught them on camera! This
is not real common - yet - but becomming moreso where I live.

I saw an article a couple years back about a group of thieves who cut &
rolled up perfect lawns to sell to a landscaper. Imagine some obsessive
compulsive dunderhead working his guts out for that perfect lawn coming
home & finding it all missing. Lawns are evil single-species destroyers of
the natural world, but still, gotta feel sorry for the obsessive
compulsives.

-paghat the ratgirl

Genevieve wrote:
I bought 4 nice Gerber Daisies to plant around the ugly street sign in
my front yard - yellow, white, pink and orange.

A week later, the orange Gerber plant was gone and only the hole in
the ground was left. I can't imagine what happened to it. Would an
animal run off with a plant like that? I'm thinking someone wanted the
orange daisy and just absconded with it.

I should have put it in the back yard, but who thought I'd have a
problem like that?! Now I'm wondering about the Hydrangeas I'm
planning for my front beds. Will they be safe? I know - it probably
won't happen again and I'm being paranoid.

Any one else have a problem with plants that grow legs and walk away?

Genevieve
zone 9

-from Peter Newell's "Wild Flowers"