Old 29-04-2004, 06:08 PM
Sacha

Default Jersey Royal seed potatoes

George Bray29/4/04 3:38

I want to retain some Jersey Royal potatoes to grow at home for a DIY
crop of new potatoes around this time next year. The Jersey Royals
were bought today from a shop in the UK.

Should I aim to store them in the dark for 10 months before planting
them c. Feb 05? I fear they won't keep well for that long.

Or should I plant them around July time and use the next crop
(autumn/winter 04?) as my seeds potatoes for a further crop in
April/May 05?

Does anyone know the Jersey farmers' source of seed potatoes for the
new Jersey Royals which are in the shops now? Are they stored for
almost a year?

To the best of my knowledge (I'm a Jersey woman now living in UK) when they
lift the potatoes for export which is now, some are kept back, stored and
chitted, then planted next January or February, depending on weather. The
ones we're eating now will have been grown under polythene, is my guess.
I don't know the technical details so I've forwarded your query to a Jersey
farmer friend of mine and will see what he comes up with. He was mostly
dairy but grew a few spuds, too.
Of course, the Jersey people will tell you that you can't grow a true Jersey
Royal anywhere outside Jersey. ;-)

--

Sacha
(remove the weeds to email me)