Old 29-04-2004, 07:07 PM
David W.E. Roberts

Default Starting off courgettes

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message
Hi,

just planted up this year's batch of seeds - tomatoes, cucumbers,
courgettes.

I noted that the courgettes should be kept warm (20-25C) until they are
growing.

I think this is warmer than anywhere in the house apart from the airing
cupboard.

So how do you start off your courgettes?

Bottom heat in a propogator?
Airing cupboard?
Or will they start OK on a cooler spot such as a window sill?

I was originally planning to grow them in our sun lounge, which easily
achieves the 25-25C during the day, however it drops back to 13-15C
overnight which is outside the spec. on the seed packet.

In my usual dyslexic disorganised way I got it wrong again.

It is the cucumbers and gherkins which require 20-25c

They have germinated pretty well, and are thriving.

The courgettes - normal and yellow - have done very badly, and seem to have
rotted in the compost.

I must have overwatered them at a crucial time, or delayed them by moving
them around.

I have one courgette - now in a large pot and going great guns - from 16
seeds.

I have two yellow courgettes - much smaller but growing - from 11 seeds.

Still, I don't need more plants.

Gawd knows what I am going to do with all the tomatoes.

Cheers

Dave R

P.S. if there was a little red courgette would that be the prince of
vegetables?