Old 29-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Bob Hobden

Default Jersey Royal seed potatoes

"George Bray" wrote in message
I want to retain some Jersey Royal potatoes to grow at home for a DIY
crop of new potatoes around this time next year. The Jersey Royals
were bought today from a shop in the UK.

Should I aim to store them in the dark for 10 months before planting
them c. Feb 05? I fear they won't keep well for that long.

Or should I plant them around July time and use the next crop
(autumn/winter 04?) as my seeds potatoes for a further crop in
April/May 05?

Does anyone know the Jersey farmers' source of seed potatoes for the
new Jersey Royals which are in the shops now? Are they stored for
almost a year?

The correct name of "Jersey Royals" is "International Kidney", they only
become "Jersey Royals" when grown on Jersey.
You will find "International Kidney" seed potatoes easy to come by so why
bother to try to save bought ones for a year?
What you need to get them to taste right is lots of compost made with
seaweed, without it they will just taste like any other new potato.

--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars